Wednesday 24 April 2013

Blogs for Happiness #7: Autumn in the Yarra Valley. Part Two



I came to consciousness gently this morning, slowly realising that the drumming beat I could hear was coming from the paddock below our house. The neighbour’s horses were enjoying an early morning frolic. And why not I thought, as I pictured them tossing their manes and tails in the air as they galloped with what sounded like utter joy to be greeting a frosty, nippy day. 
The first encounter with the neighbours that we had when we moved here 9 years ago was with Lollypop, a charming black horse with a white blaze. She rode down our driveway with Morgan atop, a gorgeous young girl, and both so excited there were new people to check out. Morgan wasn’t looking for apples in my pocket though! It would have been Lollypops’ daughter and friends that I heard this morning celebrating the coming of autumn.
It’s lovely to hear the horses but not having to get up in the cold and muck them out. We’re surrounded by productive, busy farmland: horses to the east and south, sheep, pigs and cows to the north and strawberries to the west. The labour that is involved with the upkeep of these beasts and bounty we observe mostly from a distance. We quietly cheer the farmers on as they wrestle with building fences to keep rambunctious stock where they’re supposed to be. We help out from time to time, chasing pigs and horses out of our yard when the fences have come second in the battle for supremacy.
The embarrassingly small amount of labour that we do at our place involves making jam and chutney when we feel like it and trying to keep the foxes from killing the chooks. (Have failed several times on that front-that’s a whole other story!) We have a small orchard that has had to look after itself. For the time I was pregnant and then when McEwan was still small, the fruit plummeted to the ground, the thudding of the overripe orbs noticed only by the birds. The parrots, magpies, cockatoos, currawongs and butcherbirds feasted on neglected white peaches, figs, plums, apples and nashi pears. Oh and mandarins, oranges, grapefruits and lemons. Almost forgot those. 
I had such dreams of abundant production when we bought this place. I was going to be knee-deep in delicious concoctions I’d made, all sourced from our permaculture style of living. How those dreams have gone by the wayside.
This year however, I’ve been able to get out amongst it all, as McEwan is a great little helper now. I collected one kilo of blackberries from the runaway vines that were strangling an orange tree. So some good did come of turning our back and letting nature have her way with our unruly, untended, overlooked and frankly overwhelming acre.
I’ve decided to turn over a new rust coloured leaf this season and actually tend to the garden in a more orderly fashion. I shall get help though as the restraining of ivy, the taming of blackberries and the beating to submission of Wandering Jew and Holly will be a task bigger than Ficus Benjamina Hur.
Wish me luck-I’ll invite you around for a garden party when I’ve uncovered a spot where we could actually sit!

My Website: Books for Happiness.com

No comments:

Post a Comment